On these dates so marked is the consumption of Christmas sweets, and not infrequently we look at them with suspicion, fearing an increase in weight. But on the contrary, and according to data from a study carried out by the Ainia Agroalimentary Technological Institute, the traditional Christmas sweets have remarkable nutritional aspects.
Several samples of typical products of these dates have been analyzed, such as Jijona nougat, Jijona turrón in liquid texture, and Alicante nougat and its cake format, among others. Researchers have shown that the foods analyzed are of good quality, thanks to their nutritional and organoleptic properties (taste, texture, smell and color), and have many beneficial effects for the body:
- They contain a high amount of amino acids, specifically arginine (essential amino acid in the human diet and is present in proteins), which plays an important role in the prevention of vascular diseases.
- They are a good source of phytosterols (fats that are part of the membrane of the cells of all plants, which decrease the degree of absorption of cholesterol and protect against the most common types of cancer (colon, breast and prostate).
- They have a high fiber content, which is essential for all types of diets, thanks to its preventive effects of gastrointestinal and cardiovascular pathologies.
- They have a high oxidative capacity, protecting against damage caused by free radicals.
- They have a high content of healthy fat, which helps prevent the onset of cardiovascular diseases.
This research reveals that nougat ingested in moderation is a beneficial food for human health, forming part of a balanced diet and that it conforms to the dietary recommendations of the experts.