The College of Podiatrists of the Valencian Community has warned that the use of inappropriate footwear can cause deformations in the feet, and recommends that "special attention" be given when children are between twelve months and three years, because it is a stage of infant development in which the basic shape of the foot is determined, and during which the little ones affirm their ability to walk.
On the occasion of returning to school activities, parents usually acquire the equipment for the new course which, in addition to books and educational material, includes footwear and clothing; for this reason, at this time, the School of Podiatrists takes the opportunity to highlight the importance of choosing a footwear that is appropriate for the child's foot, and that contributes to favor optimal development and growth.
The use of inappropriate footwear during childhood can cause fingers to deform, the nails to be altered or even cause more severe problems such as gait disorders and aggravation of these or other congenital conditions
And, according to these experts, the use of inappropriate footwear during childhood can cause the fingers to be deformed, the nails are altered or even cause more severe problems such as gait disorders and aggravation of these or other congenital conditions.
Until the baby is 12 months old, the sole function of the shoe is to protect the child from cold, moisture and contact with the ground or other surfaces. However, from this age and up to three years natural arches are formed and it is necessary to pay proper attention to shoes, which become a resource to prevent the occurrence of deformities, in addition to helping children to march correctly.
How to choose a good footwear for children
The College of Podiatrists of the Valencian Community has detailed a series of recommendations that can guide parents when choosing a good children's footwear:
- The ideal footwear is that which protects the foot without altering the gait, favoring the normal performance of the step, and adapts from the beginning to the dimensions of the foot of the child.
- Do not force babies to walk, who will naturally take their first steps between 12 and 18 months.
- Some deformations could be congenital, and it is possible that they will be corrected during the first years.
- The right size should be chosen because a large percentage of the discomfort suffered by children under three years of age have their origin in nail injuries due to improperly cut the nails and the use of shoes too small, which compresses and injures them.
- It is necessary to go to the specialist if the child, from three years of age, has abnormalities such as flat feet or cavities, rotations in the feet, or suffers repeated falls or pain at night, because it could be symptoms of other problems.
- Shoes or other shoes should not be used by different children because they acquire the shape of the feet of the first user.
- The footwear must be made with natural and flexible materials, to allow perspiration and freedom of movement, and consist of velcro, laces, buckles, or other fastening elements, and lack seams or internal parts that can cause chafing.
- The footwear should be approximately one centimeter longer than the foot, so that it can grow properly and facilitate the child's natural movements when walking.
- It is recommended that the feet of children of school age be examined periodically to verify that they are developing correctly, because it is very common for children who have some alteration in them not to realize that, when they are growing, the bones of The feet are very flexible, to the point of being able to twist or deform without causing pain.
Source: EUROPE PRESS